The Open Call for the 2021-2013 programme is now closed.
Many thanks to everyone who has applied for the programme this year. All applications we have received have been acknowledgement via email. If you submitted an application but haven't heard from us please get in touch.
Talbot Rice Gallery invites applications for the Talbot Rice Residents programme which runs from January 2021 to January 2023.
Talbot Rice Residents provides time and support for emerging, or re-emerging, artists based in Scotland within the unique context of Talbot Rice Gallery, Edinburgh College of Art and the University of Edinburgh. Residents receive year-round curatorial and technical support from the Talbot Rice team, as well as access to workshops, libraries and collections, and contact with the vast academic community within the University of Edinburgh. In addition to an annual Artist Fee, Residents receive an individual budget for production and travel, and meet at key points in the programme for masterclasses and workshops delivered by invited guests. The programme also includes national and international research trips and new commissioned writing.
Characterised by rigorous exploration, experimentation and risk-taking, Talbot Rice Residents are encouraged to make use of the resources on offer and undertake a significant period of research, whilst also actively seeking public moments to show work (or work in progress) throughout the programme. Residents are invited to consider and use the diverse estate of the University of Edinburgh, as well as the digital world, as potential sites for outcomes and will be fully supported by Talbot Rice to promote their work. The programme culminates in 2023 with an exhibition in London.
Talbot Rice Residents receive
- £5000 fee per year
- £2500 production and travel budget
- Access to workshops, collections, libraries, the academic community and other facilities within the University of Edinburgh
- Exhibition / event outcome opportunities
- Access to workspace within the University of Edinburgh
- Year-round curatorial and technical support from the Talbot Rice team
- Masterclasses and workshops led by invited guests
- Research trips / retreats
- New commissioned writing, specific to their work
- Annual symposium
- Exhibition in London
- Open to artists based anywhere in Scotland
- Open to artists of any age (18+)
- Open to artists working in any medium
- Artists must have a minimum of 3 years demonstrable practice out of further education (in total) OR since commencing their artistic career (as of January 2021)
- Artists must not be in formal education at any point during the programme period
(For further details and breakdown of eligibility requirements see FAQs here)
All applicants must submit:
- Application Form (click to download)
- Access Rider (click to download)
- A Portfolio of work (as a single pdf, max. 5MB)
- Artist CV (max. one-side of A4)
- Details of 2 previous artworks. Including images (max. 3) and text descriptions (max. 100 words) for each work. For moving-image or sound work please include text descriptions (as above) and provide links to Youtube, Vimeo or Soundcloud (max. 3mins duration per work).
- Applicants are also asked to complete an Equality Monitoring Form here
Deadline: Friday 28 August, 5pm
Please send all completed forms in a single email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line:
Talbot Rice Residents 2021-23.
For further details and information visit the Talbot Rice Residents FAQs here
If you have any questions or difficulties with the application process, or if you wish to discuss applying in an alternative way, please contact Stuart Fallon: email@example.com